I may be useless to you, Davey, but at least I'm up front about it. I have not heard the Fluance speakers.

But I got my M60's recently and could not be more pleased. I've always wanted 3-way floor standers and share your concern about kids/stands. I had high expectations and they were met with elegance and fortitude.

From a purely systems-building standpoint, you've got a terrific receiver and seem very ready to invest in a high quality sub. DO NOT scrimp on the rest of the system. Don't wonder what might have been.

I'm running the M60's without a sub. For music, it is absolutely wonderful - rich, full and clean. And since I don't watch "Armageddon"-type movies all the time, I'm waiting to buy a good sub when I can. Again, I am very satisfied with both my short-term enjoyment and my long-term prospects.

The QS8's receive universally glowing reviews, and design-wise, they make good sense to me. Plus, they are just big enough to be "full range" speakers.

Your receiver will have sophisticated bass management capabilities, so my opinion (worth price charged) is to invest for the long haul by buying good mains and good surrounds and then building from there.

Oh yeah, and listen listen listen to speakers.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem