Originally Posted By: medic8r

And, yes, the TV ads are hilarious.

So here's the deal. My wife surprised me the other day with a request for a MacBook and a home wireless network.

The main reason for this post (other than hoping for some cool points from my Mac-using friends) is to ask for advice as I purchase the MacBook. I anticipate that we will share this computer for the usual purposes: of web browsing, minor word processing, CD and DVD burning - photo CDs, DVDs of our camcorder tapes, music CDs, etc. Later we might get a second MacBook, maybe an Air, which would be cool to take on business trips.

Questions:

1) Any advantage of buying at an Apple retail store vs Best Buy vs Apple.com? The nearest Apple retail store is 60 miles away. Worst Buy is 10 miles.

2) How do you guys like iLife? I imagine it will suffice for a n00b like me, but should I consider pre-installing any of the fancier software they offer for video editing?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Yes to all the above. Personally,I live in a 2 computer world. My wife and I are a mixed marriage - She's a little bit Mac, I'm a little bit PC - to borrow a line from Donnie and Marie. OK, more like a lot than a little. Our current setup is an iMac as the base station which is host to the printer and the N-1 router. I do most of my work on a HP laptop via wireless. We also have an iBook that makes the rounds thru the family.

Because of my lack of experience with Macs, and my laziness with other things (like starting a photobucket account), I upload pictures via our iMac account and website, then use my PC to insert the photo's URL - all because I haven't learned how to do it all with the Mac.

Other than that I think I lean toward Mac. Much more intuitive.

Scott

Scott

My HT