A much easier - if a little pricey - solution rather than RAID is Drobo Have not ponied up the money (yet) myself, but I hear good things. Version one was a tad noisy, but the new version is apparently much improved.

What I like about it is the ease of increasing the disk available for storage: simply - while the unit is being used! - take out the smallest disk in the array and replace it with a larger one, and it automagically brings everything up to date, using its RAID-like redundancy features. You can apparently use any 3.5" SATA I or SATA II hard drives in the enclosure.

I can highly recommend the slysoft software mentioned earlier: I run CloneDVD and AnyDVD on a WinXP vmware virtual machine on my Mac Pro, and it works beautifully. Again, perhaps a bit pricey, but they often have 20%-off sales, and you get a "lifetime" of updates once you purchase. Interesting that they manage to stave of the evil of the RIIA and the like. Perhaps being an Irish company helps: I notice too that their postal address is in Antigua

Regards,
David