I have had a VP50 for a little while and I can say that it is by far the best investment I could have made to keep my large DVD collection looking great. It took me a little while to set everything up and tweak it (the VP50 is ridiculously customizable) but the result is fantastic. I used to think my "upconverting" DVD player did a nice job but I was really blown away with what this thing can do and I'm not just spouting the usual "I spent a lot of money so I need to rationalize to myself that it was worth it" either. I've done informal A/B comparisons with movies I have on DVD and Blu-ray, and while you can tell the difference (mostly with color depth), the DVD's look almost as good as the Blu-ray in most cases. I was also blown away with how the VP50 handles film grain. My previous player just thought it was noise and softened it...a lot. The VP50 actually preserves the grain and it looks fantastic. Shows on DVD like Battlestar Galactica and Band of Brothers, shot with a lot of grain, look so film-like, it's crazy.

The Edge seems like a great product for DVDO. It has most of the features of the VP50pro for a fraction of the cost and the Edge has some features my VP50 doesn't even have. If you've invested money like I have in DVD's, it makes sense to spend another $800 on this product. Hope this helps.