People are commenting about display size, and while it is an important factor in whether or not you need a separate scaling solution, I feel I have to mention something. I only have a 56" display and I sit about 13-14 feet away. So some may say a video processor wasn't really that important to my setup based on display size. However, as I'm sure any person who has watched a Blu-ray disc can attest to, as soon as you see 1080p source material on Blu or HD-DVD, regular DVD just doesn't seem great anymore. It's sad, but true.

This is one of the areas that I think a video processor is pretty important. It eliminates that painful "my eyes!" transition from watching HD formats to a SD DVD. I enjoy my DVD collection even more because my video processor closes the gap between SD and HD. I will say this again, an expenditure (say, $800 for the Edge) that breathes new life into the investment I've made in DVD's is well worth it, regardless of whether my display is 56" or 100"+.

A video processor also helps for future-proofing if you plan on getting a projector and 100"+ screen in the future (like me). Then you'll definitely want the video processor for SD material.