Mark,

Think of the formats as you would standard DD or DTS. (the new formats are DD+, DD-TrueHD, DTS-HD-HR (high resolution), DTS-HD-M (master). There’s no difference between the old and new, other than that the ‘new’ has more information than the old. All the formats are basically zip files that need to be unpacked (decoded). When they get unpacked, the result is an uncompressed multi channel PCM data stream. Either the source has to do the unpacking or the audio processor has to do the unpacking. The M-PCM data stream then gets converted to analogue by either the source, or the audio processor’s DAC’s (digital to analogue converter).

Assuming the source does the unpacking, it is then output to the audio processor in one of two ways, or sometimes both. One way is through the multi channel analogue outputs. The other way is through HDMI. HDMI version 1.1 is all that is required to transmit M-PCM. HMDI 1.2 is required to transmit DSD (SACD digital stream transfer). HDMI 1.3 is required to transmit the compressed formats. Some BR players have the hardware to do both, some don’t. Some players will decode only DD-HD, but no DTS-M. DTS-M takes more processing power than the others, so its decoding has been lagging with some manufactures.

In you have an audio processor that does not have HDMI, you will have to use the analogue inputs if you want to hear the uncompressed audio stored on the disks. If you don’t have that either, you will have to use either Optical or Coax. DD-TrueHD does not have a “core”, but the BR and HD disks come with an additional format; which is usually 5.1 DD. You will be able to hear the 5.1 DD track. DTS-M has a core DTS 5.1 audio stream embedded that all players will extract from the DTS-M audio stream. It is the “core” that you will hear via Coax or Optical.

The PS3 is a great little machine despite its warts. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone that does not mind having an ugly gaming console in their EQ rack, or doesn’t mind dealing with one of the several available IR workarounds. If you play games, then that’s an additional bonus. The PS3 does not, from what I can interpret, any shortcomings than any other BR player on the market. The ONLY exception would be; that it will not output the new formats in their compressed state. There is a large following of argumentive self proclaimed audio experts that believe you sacrifice SQ if the source does the decoding. I for one do not buy into that nonsense. I have experimented with both for hours and can not detect any difference whatsoever. I have perfect hearing too.

I have not kept up on the newer PS3's, but I seam to recall reading that Sony dropped SACD support. I do not know for certain if that is true or not. I have the first generation, 20 gig PS3. It does everything, and it does it all very well. SACD sounds nothing short of spectacular through it.