We picked up a Roomba 580 in August and I could hardly be more disappointed. We have 2 cats with medium long hair and the hair gums up Roomba's rushes and it takes almost as long to clean the brushes as it does to vacuum myself to the same degree, certainly not a deep clean, more of a touch up/broom sweep level of clean. Ruby (yes we name our appliances, the Garmin GPS's name is Carmen) mainly prefers dust/small particles of dirt only and doesn't like anything big, e.g., dry cat food is out of the question, she might be OK with kitty litter but not a major spill.

We have mostly tile and wood floors, maybe Roomba works better with rugs. One of the brushes broke after a matter of weeks even though I had been cleaning it as recommended, the rotating brush broke after maybe 2 months.

I feel like I don't have time to devote so much maintenance of something that's supposed to save me time. I've been waiting all these years to try and frankly was surprised to find it had the build quality not much better than a toy.

In my view, Roomba's still not ready for prime time, to me it would only correspond to late Alpha stage of development, but if you look at reviews on Amazon, lots of people love them, so it may depend on the application. I must say I'm very skeptical about using one to clean up after cats though.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."