I think there is a misconception of ideas going on here.
I am not advocating that people use their main speakers without a subwoofer to play all bass frequencies.
Nothing is "lost" by running your mains on large in conjunction with a sub. The subwoofer still plays all frequencies below the roll off point and yes, in this configuration turning off a subwoofer would result in decreased bass.
That again is obvious.

As for lowering the burden on the receiver, again this concept of power is a moot point for the most part unless one's receiver is poorly under powered for what it is driving or someone wants big billy bob bass and cranks up the receiver to 80%+ power with +12dB on the bass knob. Secondly, people can use extra amps to 'offload' any excess power load, though i've never had any issues with my receiver smoking simply because i ran my mains on large.

My 6 year old Onkyo (not known for its prowess with power in the business) is still kickin and i've hit 105dB with the M60s at 12 foot distances running full range (all 5 channels).

The primary point goes back to this:
One does not need to set their system x-over at 80Hz to be in perfect alignment with the gods of sound and music and that all other configurations are somehow faulty.

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/17/08 02:42 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."