Well when I first read, "you might create DOUBLE BASS"... I thought they were talking about a 'good thing'? Just a few threads ago Ian told me the grand daddy of HT systems incorporate 4 subwoofers... which I may point out to everyone would be QUADROUPLE bass!!! And if that aint a bad thing, then why would double bass be?

I would think it would depend greatly on the ability of a particular driver on where to set the cross-over point. And thought I can't speak from experience (yet), from what's been written in here, the M80 delivers solid bass down to 34 hz. So if it 'can' play quality bass that low, why not let it?

On my old system the 220 watt Cerwin Vega 12 inch down firing sub sounded nice & tight from 40 hz down. Trying to play anything above 40 hz sounded very loose, very boomy, & very inaccurate. The Cerwin Vega mains had 15 inch drivers in them, but they weren't very efficient. So the bass coming out of them below 80 hz was very weak since all I was driving them with was the Denon at 125 watts per channel. But despite this I still set the subwoofer to 40 hz. Because I prefered having the 'weak' spot between 40 - 80 hz to having a 'muddy' transition.

It's my preferance to play as much quality bass as you can get. And to be honest, before stumbling across Axiom here, I was looking at a $1000 dollar 'Bass Cube' that I thought was rediculously priced. I really could hardly fathom spending that much on a subwoofer. Obviously my views have changed as I am looking at possibly waiting it out to get the EP800 (a $2200 dollar sub). But I still scoff at the idea of needing $8800 dollars (a 4 sub set-up) worth of bass in my livingroom. If the EP800 needs ANY help at all, then I'll seriously question why I spent $2200 dollars on it. But as sure as I am that I'll be more than happy with the bass output of this monster sub, I'm equally as sure that I will run the M80's on 'large' to get that extra little 'kick' of 34 - 80 hz performance!

....I just love bass.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD