Originally Posted By: oldlamps

The stands for the M22 can be had for 50.00 its the ones for the QS4 that gets me..thats a new speaker price..the wife dosent want them on the walls so I need the stands..just seems like thats a silly price for something like that

Someone once posted pictures of some nice DIY stands for QS4/8s but I’ve never been able to find them again. Maybe I saw them on another forum. Anyway if your at all handy you can make some very nice ones real cheap assuming you already have some tools handy.

Originally Posted By: fredk

I think that the M80, with its dual tweeters, had a little more detail than the M22. Memory is a funny thing though. I would love to have the opportunity to do level matched a/b comparisons again.

I found the opposite that the M22s had a little more detail at the 65dB to 75dB I usually listen at. Where the M80s dominated all the competition for me was when the volume was turned up. Only the M80s retained the detail while all other speakers I listened to had the lower frequencies start dominating.

Originally Posted By: fredk

For the most part I do not beat myself up on this one, but I somethimes wonder.

No regrets here either as I would have upgraded to M80s when I bought a house anyway which was the deciding factor in just getting them upfront. I didn’t want to end up with a couple M22s sitting around if I didn’t want to use them as rears. However, now I know I would have been very happy having the M22s here in the apartment and even if I didn’t use them as rears would gladly use them anywhere else as mains. In fact they are my mains now in my temporary bedroom setup.

Originally Posted By: BoB/335

Up until now my recent previous posts were half in jest. Those are some strong statements above. Starting from the bottom up, I was originally planning on listening to music without a sub. I mentioned about 2 weeks ago how I had a perception that a sub added too much bass and that a good full range speaker was suppose to have a more "natural" bass. (or at least that was the thinking 25 years ago)

A subwoofer like a full range speaker will only play the bass that is available to it from the song being played it won’t add anything to the music unless you are running it hot (upping the volume on the sub) to get more bass.

There is an argument for having stereo sources for bass even though it’s generally considered to be non directional at 80Hz and below. However, I only think this “need” applies to a small group of people and if one is going to be this serious then I would why bother with towers, just get bookshelves + stereo subwoofers. ;\)

There’s a huge amount of information on the bookshelf + subwoofer vs tower debate on the internet which I won’t bother to repeat here. After comparing the M22+sub vs the M80 and the M80+sub it’s my opinion that for multi use systems (music, HT, gaming) most people 95%+ are better off with bookshelf + sub systems.
 Originally Posted By: BoB/335

So I was going to cross off the sub but now I should just cross off the M80's.

If you already have a subwoofer as part of your order I suggest you just add 2 M22s to what you already have ordered. The only way you will know which you prefer is to compare them yourself. Axiom estimates 30 USD/ pair of bookshelves and 60 USD/ pair of towers shipped back but you can call Axiom and they can tell you how much it should actually cost, a relatively small price to pay for peace of mind.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1