Originally Posted By: Hansang
 Originally Posted By: grunt

[snippage] it still amazes me how small the F16 is.

I recall when we had a FAC with us on a training mission. After I called in CAS, the FAC asked me if my men would like a small fly-by over the hill we were on. I said, sure, why not, the mission's over and the trainer called admin time.

(After missing the hill the first time, got vectored to the wrong hill) the two F16s flew *RIGHT* over our heads. I could see the eye color of the pilot, it was that close. What the FAC didn't tell us was how loud the stupid engines were! Oh man, our ears were ringing after that fly by! And we were used to grenades and .50 cal MGs going off! It absolutely amazed me that a) they could drop those 500lb's right on target - danger close no less and b) how small they were and c) how loud they were.

On another trip down memory lane, I remember being on top a large hill in Ft. Carson. It was early morning and I was on rattle snake patrol for the rest of the company (walking around the area looking for rattle snakes). Then down the valley, I saw some fast movers coming in. It turned out to be two A6's on a traing mission. They were flying NOE and I was able to look *down* at them as they flew in between the valleys. With the morning sun coming up, morning haze in the valley, it was a SPECTACULAR view. That's one sight I'll cherish for a long time!

(just realized I used too many acronyms. FAC == forward air controller. He's the AF weenie that follows us Infantrymen to call in air support. CAS = Close air support. Danger Close = friendlies within X meters of the target. It varies with munition and type of air/arty support. NOE == nap of earth, where pilots fly close to the earth to avoid radar detection. Admin time = no longer tactical, you can smoke and joke)

Hey watch the "AF weenie" talk. I spent 24 years in the AF, much of my time with AF Spec Ops providing you "infantrymen" with AC-130 CAS.