Over the years since I starting coming to this forum, the topic of setting distance or delay for subwoofers is often discussed. One of the questions that we see all the time is why does my receiver's auto setup mode set my DSP based subs like the Axiom EP600 or 500 so much further than the actual physical distance.

In my case, the Denon will set my EP600 around 26ft, when it is actually about 12-13ft. What I have read in the manual, on forums, and in discussing with all of you, is that it is normal and a result of the internal processing or nature of a DSP based product.

I don't have this issue with my other subwoofers, the EP350v3's. The measurements taken by my Denon are "dead nuts" accurate to the measuring tape, as are my other speakers.

So, for many years I've trusted those settings, until tonight....

I was playing some low bass songs on youtube, especially for showing off your subs. I turned off the 350's and focused on my 600. I noticed with my 80's set to small, and an 80hz crossover, I could still hear the 600, but it did not impress me. Keep in mind I have my speakers and subs all calibrated to 75dB SPL.

I also had my Radio Shack meter at ear level and set to the 80dB setting, the receiver was around -25dB on the Denon. The 600 was barely even registering on my VU meter which would be less than 75dB's during the intense lowwws.

When I switched to Direct mode, which bypasses any bass management, basically the same thing as having the 80's on large, and using the sub + mains setting, the bass was LOW and INTENSE. I'm like what the heck, are my 80's better than my 600?

So, I started lowering the distance setting down from 26ft and ended up at around the actual physical distance it was from me, 13-14ft. All I can say is WOW, the difference is like night and day. Now I can hardly tell the difference between Direct mode and Stereo Mode (mains set to small with 80hz crossover). The 600 is putting out lowww, punch in my chest performance.

When watching the SPL meter now, the meter jumps to 85+dB's during the low frequencies at the same volume on the Denon.

I know all the experts, white papers, etc., will tell you to trust this setting your receiver is giving you, but I encourage you to try changing the settings if you feel your EP subs are lacking, which may be why many of you use LARGE settings, or lower your crossover to say 40-60hz.

I also want to add that Jakeman has always said to add 3ft to the physical distance of any DSP based sub or product like the SMS-1. I agree that this method is MUCH more accurate than trusting your receiver, and I have found the results are very similar to me just using the actual distance.

I know a lot of you have asked why your receiver gives such crazy results for the EP subs, 10-25ft further than actual. Please try changing your receiver setting to around the actual distance, you may be suprised with the results. You can always change it back to 20+ ft if you want. \:\)

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85