Originally Posted By: sirquack

What sub do you have, I find the receiver is very accurate with my non-dsp subs.

I have an EP500.

All I can say Adrian, is that my EP600 Digital based Axiom sub is about 12-13ft away from the primary seat. My Denon had it set to 26.6 ft. Changing mine to 13ft was like night/day, so much better.

My audio engineer friend found something similar the first time he listened to my system. Just a few cannon shots into Master and Commander he cocked his head and said “wow that’s off.” He said that the time alignment between the mains and subwoofer were off. He reset the subwoofer distance from about 25’ found by the Auto Setup to about 18’ (physical distance was about 8 feet) Sure enough we replayed the scene and instead of the cannons going boooooooom? they went BOOM! Even I could tell the difference. Just so happens his hobby is sound effects and cannons are his favorite.

Wow, sounds like nothing has changed then in regards to receivers. I could be wrong, but I don't think it is Audyssey that is setting the distances, just like large/small. I believe it is the receiver, but I could be wrong.

AFAIK you are right Randy. With my 2807 you run the Auto Setup first which determines what channels have speakers, there “size” (lower extension) and distance. These settings remain in the receiver even if the EQ is turned off. Next you run the Audyssey EQ measurements first of which is from the exact same place you ran the Auto Setup measurement from. So it seems to me that the Audyssey builds upon the data collected from the Auto Setup. Unfortunately you can’t (at least on the 2807) interrupt this process and input your own speaker sizes for Audyssey to use. This often resulted in my QS8s being set to large (corner loaded) and occasionally my M80s being set to small. While I change those settings to what I wanted at the end I’m sure it threw off the “perfect” EQ curve Audyssey had calculated based on it’s settings.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1