Okay, these are three interrelated questions on the same theme as I face a decision on M80s vs. M60s. Many threads touch on these same issues, but I could not find a dedicated 80s vs. 60s thread, and I also want to poll some divergent thoughts on room size and the need for a sub with larger mains, so here goes:

1. For stereo listening, do you think I can enjoy M80s in a 14'x18' carpeted room or will they just be too large? The system sits at one end of the room along the 14' wall. The room is 18' long but has a mostly open wall at the other end that opens into a small kitchen (another 8' deep). I ask about size b/c my previous floorstanders, a pair of Energy e-XL 25s, never seemed to fill the space completely -- AND they stood too low at 30". The low tweeter axis always bugged me. So I'm intrigued by the height of the M80s, also by the discussions of their great clarity. Some threads here have made me wonder however if they may be overkill for my medium-sized room.

2. For listening to music in this room (Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Stan Getz, Lucinda Williams, jazz, Brazilian, pop), do you think I'd do better with

• M80s alone
  • M60s alone
  • M60s + a good sub, which I have yet to purchase?

I know the sub question may sound stupid to some, but I have never owned a sub, fearing it would just be too complicated, and so I don't know if it would enhance my stereo listening when using good, fuller- to full-range mains like the M60s or M80s. I'm interested in trying some DVD-Audios, but realistically this will be a rare form of usage for now.

3. Home theater viewing is a secondary but regular use of this system. We've enjoyed it with 5 speakers but no sub, but I'm wondering .... What are people's opinions on going with just the M80s and no sub (I can't afford both) vs. the M60s while saving for a sub in the $500 range?

Since I won't have a chance to hear M80s before buying, I'd really appreciate thoughts on these configurations, esp. from M80 owners or listeners. Stereo-listening is my main interest. If anyone in the Austin area can audition M60s or M80s please contact me.

FYI these will be run on a Yamaha RV-1105 playing mostly CDs, some vinyl, DVD movies and hopefully some DVD-Audio soon. Thanks for your thoughts.

"These go to eleven."