You see, this is why a board like this is so valuable. Everywhere you look, it's 7.1 this, 7.2 that... Only on a board like this can you get real world experience and input from people that have done it.

No, I have not tried my setup yet as I am still building the room. I just really don't like doing things half-heartedly knowing there is something "better" out there, but hearing people who have done it tell you it's not worth it really means something.

I ran the wire for the rear centre tonight, but I think I am going to do what you guys are saying (repeatedly), and that's to move the sides back a foot, and run the 5.1. When Grunt said 7.1 isn't very good for gaming.. That strikes a chord because you need to hear properly for first person shooters, which I love to play. I guess it only makes sense to try what I have first, I have nothing to lose.

I am going to order a sub tomorrow, 95% sure on it, but I'll report back once I order. I guess that is what this thread is all about after all.