Originally Posted By: grunt
I didn’t realize you gamed or I would have given a more detailed explanation of what is said about gaming. I’m specifically talking about when using 7.1 with traditional speaker placement meaning the surrounds at the side and not a few feet back (which sort of defeats the purpose of 7.1). It doesn’t effect the ambient sounds but then that’s not what’s gonna get you killed. It does really screw up the directional cues. Instead of a sound coming from behind you like it should it usually comes from of to one side or the other.

You can really notice this effect in a game like “Elder Scrolls Oblivion” when you turn your character around in a circle when standing near someone who is talking or near a big fire. The sound pans around until it gets to the back of one side and the gets softer until it jumps to the other side. However with 5.1 and the speakers a little farther back the rear pans are seamless, at least with the QS8s. It’s the phantom back effect John talked about.

Although it’s considered an audio no-no if you do experiment try the QS8s in the corners with a tweeter firing down each wall. The best rear soundstage I ever got was set up like this. The only drawback was some movies like “Master and Commander” got a little boomy when cannonballs were ripping through the ship. So I moved them forward just a bit and got a good compromise.

Once I get some dedicated 7.1 sources and especially if games start shipping in 7.1 I’ll revisit using rears but for now I like 5.1 better.

However, just remember like my avatar I’m an Oddball.

This is pretty funny actually... I knew what you meant with the sound coming from the wrong direction, and in first person shooters (especially online) you have to know where people are and if they are sneaking up on you, or in a room beside you, if you don't want to get blasted all day long.

Oblivion is actually my favorite single player game ever, I probably have 300+ hours into that game. Funny thing is, I hated RPG's until I tried that one... Just an incredible game all around.

I am going to put the QS8's about a foot back from the couch, which will put them about 3 feet from the back wall. From there it's nothing some drywall mud and paint can't fix if I decide to move them later. After sleeping on it some more, I do agree until there is more source material for 7.1, there isn't much point at this time for me to go that way.

I am going to order the PB12-NSD as well. I really want to go Axiom but it seems with the PB12 you're getting pretty much an EP500 for EP350 pricing.