MWC;

No problem, seems like I am getting no real work done todays anyway and my review made it on a few other websites and people are asking the same questions.

My hint hint, probably needs to be deleted at this point since apparantly you can set the receiver up in 9.1. Based on my FAQ interview with Yamaha, I was lead to believe it couldn't, not a fault on their part, but in my interpretation of their response.

OK, sorry guys, but I have to post a self promoting link to my site so you know what I am talking about:

Yamaha RXV-2400 FAQ Part I

I promise not to post any more audioholics links, at least today

Anyways, I was under the impression you could not do 9.1, even with an external amp, thus I didn't test it in my review.

Upon consulting with Yamaha Engineering yesterday, they informed me that if you enable "Surround Back", the "Surround/Back/Presence" preamp outs reroute to the actual "Presence" channels. Then you can connect an external two channel amp to power those channels and have a full 9.1 set-up featuring their propietary DSP.

I would have preferred rerouting the main channels to the "Presence" channels, and used a dedicated amp for the main channels where it would be needed most. But you can't always have your cake and eat it too, especially for $1000!

The very fact that you can do Yamaha 9.1 in a sub $1000 receiver IMO is awesome! I believe this holds true for the RX-V1400 as well?

If any owners here have this unit, and and an extra amp and speakers, please confirm. I already disconnected this receiver from my set-up and it would involve considerable work to set-up again.

I am waiting on feedback from Yamaha on my review, and would love to add some of this to the addendum. Thanks all!

Last edited by GDS; 12/10/03 11:07 PM.

Best Regards; Gene DellaSala (GDS) Audioholics.com