Originally Posted By: ClubNeon

The old visible pixels, or "screen door effect" was from LCD projectors which shined the light through a panel. What you were seeing were the wires running to each cell of the matrix. Newer projectors use LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon), these are chips which have the cells touching each other being controlled directly by the chip surface below them, thus no wires.

AFAIK only Sony and JVC make LCoS projectors at least in the sub $10,000 range. Everything in the sub $2,000 range is LCD or DLP. The LCDs have just gotten better at hiding the wires and in Panasonic’s case they use digital processing to eliminate the pixilation.

In the past I agree with Alan that DLP had an overall better picture than LCD, however I now feel that LCD is on almost on par with DLP and LCDs usually have better placement flexibility.

Rick - What are your intended uses for the projector? In my case features supporting my intended uses helped make me make my projector choice rather than just what reviewers think had the “best” picture.

Oops, looks like you caught that before I hit send.

Last edited by grunt; 10/24/09 08:41 PM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1