You know this thread has made me realize that I sort of made the same discovery as you, only accidentally, and not exactly in the same way. You see when putting together this room we put track lighting all around the room. Well when it's movie time we turn the center 'pot lights's completely off, but I prefer to keep the track lighting on just slightly. The walls are an off-white color, and I don't know the temperature of the track lights, but they create an effect similar to the environment you discribe.

Because of the way my screen is forward from the main wall about 4 feet, and the track lighting is directed at the walls on either side of the screen, it basically creates this effect in a round-about sort of way. Like I said it's not exactly the same, but similar. I've tried turning all of the lights off during movies, but for the most part I do prefer having the track lighting on low. I've never noticed that it might create better/deeper color saturation appearance or any of that other stuff, I'll have to pay closer attention next time I watch a movie. Maybe I'll turn them on and off and see if the screen characteristics change.

Interesting stuff.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD