Hi ihifi

I had to smile when I saw you have a pair of the beautiful Michaura M55s. I have a houseful, also a pair of M66s and a pair of M665s. Although shipping was expensive, the $19 I paid for each M55s is the greatest audio deal I've ever made. [I think they intended to charge $400 a pair for these beauties]

I swapped out the caps and resistor with some Jensen paper/oils and Caddocks. You are right, the M55s don't go very low. BUT, they pair seemlessly with fast subs. They are also extremely efficient. I drove a pair supported by a Velodyne 10" sub with a 5 wpc SET tube amp and the combo is pretty magical in my opinion.

I am also a fan of the M3s (not so much the M22s though I have a pair for garage service). The M3s are spectacular over achievers. M3s have some bass presence, but they also benefit hugely from a good sub. I went back and forth between M3s and Michaura M55s, and ended up with the M55s - to my ears they had a larger soundstage (huge actually), more open and airy highs, though I liked the mid bass of the M3s better.

The Michaura M55s, Velodyne 10", Ah! Njoe Tjoeb tube output CDP and ASL MG SI 15DT 5 wpc SET amp produces a WALL OF SOUND. The speakers disappear and the sound stage is truly huge.

I prefer the same set up with a pair of M66s but the difference is between the shockingly good and the absolutely sublime.

BTW, although I don't know how much of a contribution they made, I use Mapleshade Clearview Double Golden Helix Plus speaker cable and Maple Audio interconnects.

Let us know how your new set up compares to the M55s. I have heard 2 channel systems which cost $10,000 and which did not sound as good as the M55s and a modest SET tube amp.

Also, I have to agree with Alan. I think Revel floorstanders are wonderful speakers.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 11/07/09 08:14 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.