Originally Posted By: grunt
I’ve also preferred DTS but very few of my movie DVD soundtracks have it. OTOH most of my concert and music DVS do have DTS. Though I’m starting to see more of it now that I’ve got a Blu-ray player.

Which is funny, because on DVDs DTS's compression used an arguably better psychoacoustic model, and lossy compression algorithms than Dolby's. Yet DTS couldn't get much of a foothold. But on Blu-ray both Dolby and DTS have brought lossless schemes which when decompressed present exactly the same information. Now DTS becomes the popular choice. Seems to show who had the stronger marketing campaign.

I will concede, that when the lossless audio isn't available for playback (for non-HDMI, legacy users) the back-up stream for DTS is a 1.5 Mbps lossy track which tops Dolby's 640 kbps offering. Actually this 1.5 Mbps track is what kept DTS off many DVDs, because that's a lot of bandwidth to give up for just an audio track (add to this that a Dolby track was still required to be present because DTS was optional and not every player/receiver could decode it). It wasn't until DTS came up with a somewhat compromised 768k version that studios were more likely to include DTS.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris