Thank you everyone for the kind words and reassurances. I frequent a few tech boards regularly but this was the only one I felt compelled to share my story with.

All continues well health wise with my wife and Mom-in-law, except some soreness so I am indeed thankful to whatever causes were at play that day, be it divine, technical or just plain ol' luck.

Still waiting to hear on the Jeep. About the only reason I'd even consider repair a good thing is because I have so much extra money put into it that is not often returned by insurance and with a second, gas friendly, vehicle now it had become just pretty much a trail and snowy day vehicle. Sharon was actually taking it to be rust-checked for the winter when she had the accident.

The adjuster told me that in the case of a write off, they will consider add-ons in an individual basis based on cost and age. The good news with that is that the most expensive items like the new lift kit and the $300 a pop tires were replaced this summer, so depreciation will not be as heavy as if say I still had the lift I put on it in 2004.

I think my best bet is to push for it to be written off and then send someone licensed for the auctions to try and get it back for a couple of thousand. To replace new, there is at quick est. tally of 8800 worth of aftermarket parts surviving on there.

Even simply reselling parts to my Jeep buddies would drop the value to way less than half that in total it's also full of other Rubicon specific parts (at least those not damaged) that would sell in a matter of minutes. I know from a recent repair that just one of the two lockers alone is worth a grand. The extra heavy & extra low ranged transfer case, heavier power train parts (those not damaged,) axles, etc. All sell-able in minutes, not days.

I just might come out of this pretty good depending on the adjuster and if there are not too many 4x4 savvy bidders at the auction. The Word is already out though and some vultures have already phoned me to inquire what's happening with it.

Last edited by Murph; 11/18/09 12:50 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.