Originally Posted By: Potatohead

Can you change Audyssey speaker settings from small to large and not wreck the Audyssey calibration? I thought the only thing you could really do was raise the crossovers, and change channel levels which it will account for.

The Dr. is correct in saying that the speaker size settings are set independent of Audyssey buy the receiver so changing size, crossover, LFE+mains (or double bass depending on your brand) will not effect your Audyssey setting, however it will effect how it performs.

The reason the Audyssey proponents recommend setting all speakers to small with no lower than an 80Hz crossover is because the EQ curve that Audyssey calculates for the LFE channel is suppose to be much finer (more accurate) than for the other channels. So in theory you should get better in-room bass response by sending the low frequencies to the sub.

Also by switching to LFE + mains you are now getting multiple bass sources that Audyssey did not account for during its calculations. Also I’m not sure whether Audyssey calculates a full range 20Hz to 20kHz for each channel or if it only calculates a curve from where the crossover was set buy the receiver up to 20kHz or more.

So when you deviate from the all speakers to small 80Hz crossover you are supposedly bypassing some of the advantages of using Audyssey. If however you find your M80s sound better set to large or like me just left them at small with a 40Hz crossover where the receiver set them then by all means do it.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1