Originally Posted By: bdpf
Argon:
Right now I can only afford the mains, the rest will come later.

For those of you that have the M60s or M80s, do you listen to stereo music with or without sub?

I have said before that I agree wholeheartedly with John's signature that says "enjoy the music - not the equipment". Having said that, my setup is new enough - Oppo Blue Ray this past December, Axioms last May, Yamaha Receiver that decodes the latest audio technology - March, 2008 and big screen LCD TV November, 2007, that I still can't resist "playing" with it every now and then. So....I will listen to music in different modes. The Yammy has "Pure Direct" mode which cuts signal to everything except the 2 Mains (M60's). I will listen to a track multiple ways - with regular decoding, maybe try one of the "Venue Surround" modes as well as the pure direct. One of the facts that still amazes me is how good the sound stage is with the Axioms. WHile listening in Pure Direct, I still crawl over to the center channel speaker to assure myself that it is not playing. The bass on the 60's is impressive as well and fine for most music. I have not heard the 80's (again, I did audition Studio 100's) so I can not offer an informed opinion there. Ultimately, I end up with the sub in the mix. This may be sacrilege but I prefer the "7.1 Enhanced" mode for the music - as does the rest of my family. I only have a 5.1 set up - the 7.1 is what Yamaha offers.

So....all kidding aside, what I do strongly recommend is Axiom speakers - Excellent quality, Excellent service.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill