Originally Posted By: michael_d

So Dean, if I understand you correctly, you have a general preference for a vertically orientated center channel verses a horizontal arrangement and you prefer this arrangement because you feel it provides better off axis imaging?

Yes imaging is one of the main reasons I generally prefer a vertical center. However, off axis imaging isn’t the only reason. Even sitting at dead center a horizontal array creates a wider center image smearing the center of the front soundstage making singers and instruments sound wider and less discrete than they should. Narrower horizontal arrays and having them farther from the listening position, both decrease the angle to the “outer” drivers helping minimize this. Though I haven’t tried one I presume I would prefer a VP100 over a VP150 if I had to use a horizontal center.

In 2 of 3 rooms the off axis performance of the VP150 was no worse than dead center for me however in my present room it is really bad. See my comparisons linked below.

You don’t really have any concerns with the VP150’s performance or its design characteristics, correct?

A year ago I would have said your correct, however see my new concerns in the link below.

And you also feel that the VP150 has a slight tonal difference than your M80 mains and you feel the cabinet size is the limiting factor that is contributing to this difference?

I’m guessing it’s both cabinet size and porting causing the difference since I hear it even when the VP150 is oriented vertically.

If you were king for a day, what would you do differently with the VP to make it satisfy your desired center channel characteristics for both HT (Movie) and music listening?

Perfect world I would start with an M80 and then hang two other M80s minus the tweeters off the top in a “T” shape making it switch-able between the vertical array for music and the horizontal array for movies. I’m basing this on having tested two horizontal M22s on either side of my vertical M80 above my HDTV in the apartment. For music I used the M80 and for movies I changed to the M22s using a manual switch. The long horizontal array created by the M22s was very cool for movies but sounded like crap for music. I imagine horizontal M22s would sound even better for movies with the larger screen I have now.

If it had to be just a horizontal center I shudder to say this but I would make it more like the AV123 “Bigfoot.”

If matching a center to M80 mains my order of preference is a single M80 center and then a single M22 center if L/C/R are all crossed at 80Hz. With a large screen or sitting close relative to screen size I would consider dual M22s or M2s either above and below or spread out side by side to create a “bigger” center image while giving placement flexibility to minimize undesirable driver, seating and room interactions.

Here’s the link I mentioned above:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthre...true#Post280673

In general I’ve noticed that the VP150 seems to be the most sensitive to room characteristics, and speaker/seating placement of my Axioms. The same is true for other horizontal centers I’ve heard but I think more so with the VP150. When I used it in a bedroom temporarily as a center for my M22s it seemed to do just fine but in every other room tonal differences were obvious and in my present room off axis performance is dismal, likely do to the proximity of the walls to the seating.

Note that others (the majority) find that their VP150s blend perfectly with their mains. Also as has been pointed out I think by Randy, most people who complain about the VP150 do so only on a theoretical basis and no actual listening experience. Based on the complexities of room, speaker, listener interaction IMO the only way one can know for sure what works best for them in a given situation is to experiment.

Last edited by grunt; 01/23/10 07:23 PM. Reason: Dyslexia

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1