Thanks Jay,

I also just received this response which helped me understand assigning inputs-

"you need to free your mind from the shackles of rigid input assignment

All of those inputs can be assigned to whatever name you choose!! The only limitation is the number of names the Denon has available, and the 3808CI has plenty of input names that you can use.

See my setup guide, lesson number one is to IGNORE THE NAMES that Denon chooses to put by the input, you are the master of the inputs and you can reassign them as you need!

The limiting factor here is that analog audio (red/white RCA) can NOT be assigned, so those are your restrictions in terms of name.... so just make sure that the red/white analog audio input you use doesn't conflict with any of the HDMI assignments you have made.

The nice thing about input assignment is that you don't have to physically move the HDMI cable if you need to free up that "name", you can just reassign it in the menus. For example, if you plug into the red/white "DVD" inputs but the "DVD" name is taken up by an HDMI component, you can just reassign that HDMI input to something else (like "VCR") and then the "DVD" name is now free to use for something else.

And remember that you can also rename the inputs! So at the end, it doesn't matter which name you started with..."

Thought I would post it in case someone else would benefit from it.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.