The Hertz speakers were just mounted directly into the door, no enclosure of any kind. We went with a Zapco 500W 4 channel amp. The front two channels are driving the Hertz speakers and the back 2 channels are bridged to power the Image dynamic sub (the sub was placed in a custom built box in the trunk of her car which was carpeted to match) The rear spears are Treo speakers which are just powered from the Pioneer Head unit. I suspect that you could power the ECX speakers directly from a head unit with no problem but An amp probably does help bring them to life.

One cool thing about these speakers is that the tweeters can be rotated to "aim" the highs in various directions for optimum sound quality. Of course once the door panel is on you can't rotate them any more, but you can tweak the positioning as much as you want before the door panel is installed. I think the HSX speakers that PHil D mentioned are the step up from the ECX speakers I purchased. I believe the HCX speakers have tweeters that rotate AND tilt for even more tweeter fine tuning.

PhilD, out of curiosity how much did you pay for a pair of the HCX165's. They appear to be the step up from the ECX165' coax speakers we put in my wifes car. As I mentioned we were charged $190 for the pair (installed). I think the installation cost was about $40 so I guess we paid about $150 for the speakers. As good as the ECX speakers sound (for car speakers) I did wonder what the HCX line sounded like.

However, the speakers my dealer carried that were supposedly better (and more expensive) then the ECX speakers were not Hertz but were MBQuart (I think). I didn't listen to them or any other speakers that were over $150 per pair because that was already $50 more than I was hoping to spend.

-David