Just got my Axioms wired up and bitstreaming working (again) on my HTPC. I've never gotten into the audio details and setup before and now I want to know. I've read my Onkyo manual front to back no help there!

I know nothing about all of these audio formets and settings. And need a starting point.

For input settings on the HTPC, Cable Box, SqueezeBox and Xbox360, I'm using

For Dolby TrueHD, DTS MAsterHD, Dobly Digital and DTS, I'm using the DIRECT setting. Options are: PureAudio, Direct, Lastvalid, and for the other formats I'm not sure.

For Receiver audio mode settings:

For HD audio bitstreaming Dolby & DTS HD, I think my setting choice should be DIRECT.(And if I use THX Select2 when I go 7.1, I think I still get the bitstraming HD, but it adds the rears on 5.1 material.)

For Music, right now for the SqueezeBox input, I'm using Dolby PLII Audyssey THX Music, because, well I don't know why

For XBox 360, I have no idea.

Since all the gear is in the rack, and I don't get OSD with format changes, I never know what I'm listening to.

I know each input has a setting for each audio format, and then AVR setting for movies/tv, music and games.

Is there somewhere you could point me to figure this out, or do you have any input?

Gear

Axiom Speakers: 2-W22s, 1-W150, 2-QS4s and old 10" JBL sub
(Planning on: Another center W100 and another set of QSs.)
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR706
HTPC: Movies (Bluray-DVD), Music (wma lossless), and OTA HDTV (and Cable soon)
SqueezeBox Duet: Music: Local (wma lossless), internet radio, Rhapsody and Pandora
Xbox 360
(all gear rack mounted across house)

Usage

Movies: 98% Bluray with HTPC (W7 Pro 64, MyMovies, TMT3 w-Bitstreaming patch, (streamed from a WHS)and a few DVDs
TV: 98% HDTV (OTA) Dolby Digital from HTPC,Media Center.
Music: 50% SqueezeBox Duet thru AVR, 50% wma streamed from WHS thru Windows Media Center.
Games: Xbox 360 w-HDMI
Netflix streaming, thru Xbox360 (HD) and sometimes thru HTPC (no HD yet)

Hope I was clear enough, lots of options

Thanks

Jeff

Fronts/Wides:M22s in/on
Center:VP150/VP100 in/on
Hghts,SS,SR:QS8s
Sub:EP500
AVR:Onkyo 3008