Originally Posted By: wordgasm
I give up ... which mode do you use?

Well, I have a Pioneer, so everything is named differently. Most of the time I use the full processing mode, which does time alignment for speaker distances, crossover, EQ, standing wave attenuation, and loudness to boost bass as the volume is decreased, along with enabling Prologic IIx to turn everything to 7.1 (switching to Music for music, and Movie for everything else; I don't use Game even when gaming).

But if there's some 2 channel music which doesn't sound right with Prologic, I'll press the Stereo button, which does the time alignment between the sub and the mains, and still applies the EQing, and standing wave stuff.

I do have a profile saved without the EQing, but after listening to both the natural, and the EQed output, I really do prefer the seamless blending between speakers I get from the EQ. Then again, I have a pretty mismatched set of speakers. Though the different it makes is night and day, with it off, when playing some content which is mixing parts into each speaker I can hear each speaker. But with the EQ on, the sound seems as if it is just in the room. The EQing mode I use on my Pioneer, by the way, makes separate adjustments to each speaker, not even taking LR pairs into account, to try to get each one's in-room response to be flat.

Also the standing wave attenuation really does make the bass sound much clearer. It basically finds which frequencies build up in the room, and cause the bass to sound boomy. It cuts (attenuates) those frequency centers, and then adjusts the over-all sub-woofer trim to get the average output to reference level.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris