Argon: I don't know that I can answer the question about credibility of the poster. Frankly, it didn't really matter to me because by the time I read the information I already owned the machine. That being said, I went back and found the specific discussion I was thinking of, and the person who posted the information seems quite knowledgeable based on discussions throughout the thread. For folks' information, this is the post I was thinking about: "the ABT 2010 chip in the BDP-83 is fully implemented whereas in the Denon 2310 it's only 1/2 implemented, to include not having PReP implemented (which is why a 480i input signal to the 2310 vice upscaled 480p provides the best picture quality improvement). The full implementation in the BDP-83 allows it to provide additional picture adjustment features the ABT 2010 is capable of providing, although the basic deinterlacing and upscaling in both the BDP-83 and Denon 2310 are likely to be the same. If you're not interested in the additional fine tuning picture adjustment features offered by the BDP-83, then you should be good to go with just setting the BDP-80 to "source direct" mode and letting the Denon 2310 do the deinterlacing and upscaling." Again, I can't vouch for the accuracy, I am just cutting and pasting.