Originally Posted By: jakewash

I think the manufacturers are off the mark trying to bring 3D TV out, I feel it is just too gimmicky an idea, it is fun at the theater but in my house I just want to watch a movie; besides the masses haven't even moved to flatscreens/BR yet!

I very much have to agree with this.

How often do companies like Sony think the general masses turn around their home VIDEO gear anyway?
Every other year?
People keep tvs for 10-15 years. Most don't have the financial capability to keep buying the latest and greatest of something that costs over 2k each year.

Digital broadcasting just made a recent leap leaving people with the old analog setups having to buy something new or get another set top box. Some people i know just caved in and tossed their old CRTs and bought a relatively small, new LCD tv (26", $500, doesn't have 1080 resolution, no HDMI).
THEN there is the influx of big screen tvs, with 4:3 ratios yes i know of people with these tvs who now of course want widescreen instead).
THEN, we have all this widescreen that is rolled out.
THEN the high definition was the biggest thing, first 720p (some pricier units could get you 1080i like ours, bought in 2002), and now 1080p.
THEN flat screens was the next advance. Now people (including myself) are contemplating getting rid of the old massive CRTs for a LCD.
THEN the LCD improved from 60Hz to 120Hz, to 240Hz (and plasma improved and LED came out...improving on glitches and downfalls with each advance).
NOW new HDMI connections, Bluray instead of DVD, and next up, 3D meaning NEW Bluray ver. 2 player required, new TV required, etc. etc.

So many advances in so little time (say 10 years?) and the big companies are actually going to push this stuff?

I know personally i won't be having 3D tv or a player in our house for a LONGGGG time.
I doubt i'll miss the glasses any.

Someone wake me up when they finally come out with a solid revision of a holographic tv system and then i'll replace my present widescreen tv.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."