Originally Posted By: fredk
Its nice to see your tinkering pay off. I wonder if the positioning of the subs and mains has something to do with why the system sounds better with the M80s handling the 50-80Hz region?

Actually Fred, you're probably on to something there. I did move my M80's about 10 inches closer together and pushed the EP500's a little closer to the corners of my room. That was about 2 days ago.

Until today, I never thought of lowering the xo since my SMS-1 was showing such a smooth response. Since changing the xo to 50hz, all I've done is tweak the SMS-1 a little.

I was reading some posts over at audioholics on bass management. Some were debating on why people even have full range towers, then set the xo at 80hz and their towers to small, hence wasting the full range towers capabilities from 80hz down to 30hz or so. (depending on the towers freq. range) It was pretty interesting to read everyone's different opinions on the subject.

I can hear now that the M80's excel in this range, at least down to 50hz or less. Prior to me changing my xo, I was essentially cutting my M80's off at the knees.

I can't short change the EP500's, as I was muting the EP500's on and off, with them handling the under 50hz range, it made a huge difference rounding out the entire range....Ok, I'll stop rambling... \:\) Kinda got excited about my speakers again after a year of ownership!

Dana

Last edited by Dduval; 05/04/10 01:46 AM.

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740