Hi Argon,

I bought a recreational single-place kayak last summer up in Ontario at a wilderness outlet not far from Axiom. It's an Old Town Vapor (made in Maine) and is quite maneuverable. It's the sit-in type and is a manageable weight--about 45 pounds--to carry alone or put on top of the car.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation/

I taught canoeing in my youth and I found the transfer of paddling technique quite easy. It's much easier to paddle than being in a canoe alone, especially in a wind because it presents a much lower profile than a canoe. I was able to demo several different models in a nearby lake. One other brand was hard to control so I went for the Old Town, which tracks quite well. I use it on Georgian Bay among the islands (East side of Lake Huron) and it's fine in the mildly choppy water you encounter there.

I bought a lightweight Canadian brand lifevest meant for kayaking that gives you good freedom of movement. It seemed fairly pricey--$100--but it was so comfortable I went for it. I can't remember the brand--it's stored on my sailboat.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)