Murph,
Thanks for the excellent write up on kayaking. I have been busy getting 2 home from college and purchasing the kayaks. We ended up with Pungos. They have a keel and therefore track very straight. We were told by several that it could be an issue on rivers but my wife was not happy with the other kayaks as she was struggling to keep straight - and I had a bit of a problem with it too.

We purchased from Get Outdoors in Greensboro. As we were saying we wanted to purchase the Pungos, a guy that I took to be another salesman came over and started extoling the virtues of the "Marvel". This kayak is made by Native Watercraft. I told the guy that I really did want to like the Marvel as it had the best seat and that the company is located here in NC. I also told him that I wanted to like it because I admired the story of the owner. In short, 2 guys started "Wilderness Systems" 25 years ago. Then a few years back, one of the men stayed with Wilderness Systems as they were bought out by a Corporation which now owns several of the leading kayak brands. The company was moved to SC and that it where it resides today. The second man did not want to move - so he stayed here and started the company "Native Watercraft". So.....back to the present, the guy (named Andy) told me that after a short amount of time on the water, my technique would improve and I would be able to keep the Marvel straight - and it would be better in rivers. I went on to tell him that I had e-mailed asking if I could get a tour of Native Watercraft facility which is located in Greensboro - but did not get a reply. Alas, our minds were already made up and we went with the Pungo - made by Wilderness Systems. It turns out that Andy was in fact the owner and CEO of Native Watercraft. He never did tell me who he was - I wish he had as I would have liked to talk to him.

Now for our purchase - the pungos are very stable and we are just getting our nerve up to lean out and tip the kayak on its side. I am sure we have a lot to learn in that area. Get Outdoors offers a basic safety and technique course when hou buy a boat from them. NOrmal cost is $75 - but free with boat purchase. We have signed up for this Saturday. It includes what to do if you take a spill. We also have the Fox 40's and have the PFD's - mine should arrive tomorrow - I have been borrowing my brother-in-law's. My wife bought an Astral "Bella" which is a side entry (also made here in Asheville, NC.) I had considered a pump and/or sponge - so I appreciate that reco. I am interested in your comments about a paddle float - I had thought that they were for insuring you paddle did not sink - but you are saying they are designed to help get you back in the yak? Also, what are your thoughts on floats for the bow? The stern on these boats has the storage compartment but the bow is open with a fairly small piece of closed cell foam glued in to the tip. Would it make it easier to get back right if you capsize? One more question - you recommended a throw bag. What is the benefit of a throw bag over just purchasing rope? Right now, I really do not know enough to even ask good questions - but we are enjoying ourselves.............Rob

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill