These “should I buy an amp?” questions come up regularly. Almost daily it seams. I tend to ignore them anymore as the pro/con external amp arguments don’t change and the same folks say the same things over and over again. You might want to search this sight to hear all the rhetoric again. I must be bored to respond…

If you’re set on buying an external amp, don’t go cheap. If you’re going to do it, do it right. Pick yourself up a Rotel, Nad, Parasound, Krell, Bryston, Axiom, McIntosh or other than can compete with those. You will definitely tell a difference, but I seriously doubt it will be a marked improvement is sound quality unless you smoke a lot of dope and tend to believe in fairy dust and the tooth fary. An amp simply..well…amplifies whatever data it receives. This isn’t magic and there’s no voodoo or top secret large breasted virgin hand rubbed electron process occurring in the box. It’s just math. What you will hear differently, will be dynamic peaks. An external amp that has any sand will provide slightly clearer sound at higher volumes and times when there’s a lot going on.