Wow, so an amp rated at 1000 RMS could only put out roughly 130 watts of continuous power? There certainly are some dubious marketing techniques in use if that's the case. In all the research I have done (and one of my favorite hobbies since I was a teenager has been car/home audio, so I have done quite a bit of looking up on the subject) the RMS rating was how much power an amp could continuously produce. Most car audio amps would list two ratings, their RMS rating for example might be 500 watts, and their peak power rating might be 1000 watts or more, but it was understood those peak bursts were short lived, perhaps a second or two at the longest.

That was why we bought and installed capasitors... Which were basically batteries that were kept charged in reserve to help boost musical peaks that an amp might not be able to reach, or run out of power while trying to do so.

I greatly appreciate your continued efforts to help clear up some of these misunderstandings. I know there are many people out there that have those same beliefs I had before coming on here. And we still continue to see people with that mind set come on here and get their opinions corrected by those who know more about the way things have evolved. There are certainly many ignorances about these things floating around out there. As it seems that has a lot to do with questionable information given out by the majority of car audio companies.

My intentions are not to prove that those people who still believe in the age old theory of 'sealed = clean, ported = louder' are right. I'm only attempting to explain why they believe that. I know it took me a long time to come around to even believe what was being said on here because after havng built dozens of sub box's for my own cars as well as my friends, I was pretty sure I knew what I was talking about. It wasn't a 'myth' that sealed box's sounded cleaner, the sealed box's we put together did sound cleaner because the ported box's we made were far from perfectly engineered. They put out loads and loads of bass, but that bass wasn't so intelligable as it was just simply... LOUD!!!

I only hope that understanding where all of these myths got their roots can help the members of this board understand why so many people come on here with those beliefs firmly embedded into their brains. Simply telling them they don't know what they're talking about probably won't change their minds if they have a similar background as I have.

We just have to make it clear that the world of home audio is on an entirely different level. The difference is night and day really, looking back on the subwoofers we put in our cars back then, they were VERY crude! Nothing even close to what is available these days for your living room. There is very little comparison between the two worlds (a 1980's trunk subwoofer vs an EP800), besides them both being instruments that are here to serve in satisfying our cravings for bass. \:\)

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD