Hello folks... I'm building a starter HT and I need your help! I have a budget of roughly $850 to build this HT for an apartment living room that is 12'x12'6". I found a good deal on a refurbished Denon 1603 for $180 at ecost.com, so that leaves me with $670 to spend on speakers.

This HT will be in this apartment for at least a year before I eventually buy a house, so I figured I can just get a pair of front speakers and a sub if needed, and add on when the situation and cash flow calls for it. It'll be used mostly for movies, but also see some music usage (jazz, gospel, and occasional R&B/Hip-Hop). I don't want to constatly shake the walls loose, but I want to have some kinda thump & rumble for my movies when the neighbors are away.

Right now I am considering a pair of Axiom M40ti's for the front speakers. However, I'm also looking at the M22ti's. From what I've read around here, the M22ti's are better for movies and will definitely need a sub to fill in the bottom, but I'm not sure if that's also the case for the 40's. Either setup would leave me with about $200-250 for a sub (gotta got stands if I get the 22's, right?)... given the area that this is for, I'd think that I could get a decent sub to cover it at that price range... like the Velodyne VX-10 for + $149.99 S&H at etronics.com, or the CHT-8 for $229.99

So now its question time:

Which pair should I go with for my front speakers? Will I need a sub either way, as I am suspecting? If so, what would be the best sub for that price range and room size?

Also, I need to know how stable are the 22's on the CSS2 or SS16, particularly on carpeted floors? If they're always going to have a lean or unbalance, I think I'd be best off with the 40's.

Thanks in advance for your help!