These budget deals are tricky because you don't want to spend money on a lesser product now (like the STF-1) only to feel you have to turn around and buy the one you want (STF-2 or 3) later ... that's short-term economy leading to long-term envy and re-spending.

If you can suck it up and get the M22s as b-stock ($360 all inclusive) AND a HSU STF-2 at CompUSA ($349+tax), you're looking at about $735 total, or $65 more than budgeted. Make the stands yourself, for now, or push the budget an additional $50-60, and you're in business. More importantly, you'll have three speakers that will serve you well for years to come, as opposed to some speakers you are itching to upgrade when .... So IMHO spending a bit more now is the way to go.

Alternatively, if you really need to stay on budget now, you could go for M2is as fronts for the time being ($255 new, all inclusive) and the Hsu STF-2 ($349+tax), and then you're looking at about $630 total -- enough to get stands or wall-mounting brackets and meet your budget. Under this scenario, you'll get good HT (minus surrounds for now) and good music, and you'll be able to move the M2is to the rear as surrounds when you fill out the whole system. One or two M2is can also become a center channel, should you eventually opt for QS8s or other di-/quad-poles as surrounds -- in other words, spending less on the M2is now could be economical because this will give you a good listening experience now and a product you will always be able to use later on. If you go this route, consider wall-mounting the M2is instead of using stands, because you will probably want the wall-mounting brackets later when you move the M2is to the surround position.

I'd go with one of the options above depending mainly on what kind of HT room you anticipate in your future house: Get the M22s now if you think they'll be the right size as mains in the future, get the M2is now if you think you'll want a larger floorstander, ie M60s or M80s, in your future HT room.

By the way, if you had a larger HT room now, I'd also suggest considering M60s alone with no sub for the time being, but sounds like that's not an option. I have an STF-2 and M60s, but go with the M60s only on music. And I've watched plenty of movies without the sub (sometimes by accident). Not a problem, though the sub is always a great enhancement.

Whatever you do, don't limit yourself to mains and a sub. You can experience HT more or less for free on top of your new purchases -- just scout around and try to scrounge up some free speakers from friends and family who have extras. Or at the worst, go to some garage sales, you can always find a few items for close to nothing. You can use these temporary speakers as surrounds and a center (make the best one the center) to whet your appetite for your future all-Axiom set-up.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."