Hello Kordeo,

In defense of Sherwood Newcastle, Axiom took on the line because we wanted to be able to offer some customers a receiver with a robust amplifier section. We bench-tested their line-up, and even the inexpensive stereo RX-770 ($299 including delivery) could drive the 4-ohm M80s to very loud, clean levels without a hiccup, unlike some other brands at the time (2002, 2003. .) (Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha) which either shut down or went into severe current limiting when driving 4-ohm loads.

So the robust amp section is the main reason; it's also why I've consistently recommended Denon receivers and Harman/Kardon. Outlaw products are quite good. I don't know about the amp section of the Outlaw stereo receiver. It's very pretty, but expensive.

Also, the RX770 has a built-in phono preamp (for vinyl enthusiasts) and plenty of power output, which makes it an excellent value for $299 delivered.

I'll grant you that Sherwood Newcastles are not heavily advertised or reviewed frequently. According to my sources, they do come out of the same off-shore plant as Denon and Marantz units. (That does not make them the same, as each will have different engineers and designers.)

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)