EDIT: Looks like I missed a page of posts. This was in response to the question of musical instruments changing with age. Excuse me if the little I could offer was already covered.

All speculation based on the tiny bit I know but
An instrument that relies on the vibration of the material, such as a violin or guitar can suffer changes to it's shape and rigidity over time but that would mostly be due changes in humidity levels and such having a direct effect on changing the material, more so than the time itself. Many a guitar or piano has been ruined by a shift in climate. Never move a piano to a new home, they say.

Most wind instruments however, rely solely on the pattern or funnel of the air moving through it to effect the sound. The type of material makes little difference as long as it holds its shape.

Speakers?
Boards turned flabby by humidity certainly might effect the resonating factor and change the sound. Also, I understand older speakers with paper cones or gaskets are much more prone to having the paper dry up and fail. All that being said, I'm still not convinced about the 30 hour speaker break in period though.

Last edited by Murph; 08/31/10 04:06 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.