Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Here's my "Americuhn Ethnocentrism":

I was surprised....nay, pissy!.... that all the signs were in French only. Really? They can't have them in French with English underneath...like the other areas of Canada I witnessed with English AND French on the signs? Thank God for Alice (my GPS) or I don't know that I would be home yet...especially with all the construction around Montreal.

Legally, they're allowed to put smaller versions in English, but they don't. There's actual Language Police in Quebec that make sure French is the predominant language on any sign. Pre 90's they actually shutdown and charged any store with any English at all on their signs.
And the roads in Quebec are all awful as the money the province gets from the federal government for such things is squirreled away in a rainy day fund for when the province separates.

And speaking of Highway 1, I drove from L.A. to San Fran over the period of a week just a couple of weeks ago; what a gorgeous drive; feels like the edge of the Earth, which I suppose it is, depending on how your flat map is arranged.