Originally Posted By: sirquack
Hey Cam, we had this house built about 10yrs ago and the builder only used this type of foundation. I can't tell you the cost difference off hand, but I recall the advantages outweighed what ever increase in cost there might be. I'm sure today as more builders use this the cost may have come down, it was kinda new back then...
I recall seeing it for the first time on one of those home renovation television shows (I believe it was This Old House if memory serves me correctly) quite a few years ago and thought it was pretty darn cool at the time.

I would postulate that you did have energy efficiency in mind despite the fact that it appears you had no choice as the builder only constructed that type of foundation? Just asking because this kind of stuff really enthralls me.

For interests sake, Habitat For Humanity built two or three houses just a couple doors down from me, and they are all straw built houses and extremely energy efficient. One of them has solar panels, triple pane windows, and the works; I believe it's one of the most efficient houses in Canada.

I don't know if it interests you, but I thought I'd mention it because it's pretty damn cool (just like your place).

Hey! Here's an article about it on Habitat For Humanity's website.

Sorry for hijacking eek . Carry on…

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.