Hi Seeking,

I assure you that you'll be thrilled with the neutrality and transparent musical accuracy of the M22s (if you pair them with a good subwoofer) or the M80s, compared to your old Energy Take 5s/Polk setup. I know the sound of the Energy Take 5s (quite decent but a bit edgy--exaggerated in the upper mids, which emphasized sibilance in my auditioning), however, they're not in the same class at all as the M22s or M80s.

It really depends on the size of your room and whether the M80s might be too large to ideally set up for a great soundstage. The virtue of the M22s is their versatility in setup because they're smallish and compact. The M80s are big, heavy, and tricky to place in a modest-sized living room. By the way, I have both systems on a switcher setuup in my modest living room (13 x 19 x 9.5 ft) and much of the time switching between the M22s and M80s with the subwoofer running, I can scarcely tell the difference.

If you have a big room (3,000 to 5,000 cu. ft or larger), then get the M80s, because they're capable of extremely clean playback in a big room at high sound levels.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)