Hey Bob, here's my $0.02.

I own a pair of Polk SDA SRS's (The Beasts). Here's a link if someone isn't familiar with these.

http://www.polksda.com/sdasrs.shtml

As you say, they are a bit of an odd duck, but they do sound wonderful!

So I am familiar with the Polk "SDA Sound". I have not heard the M80's, but I picked up my first Axiom speakers just over a month ago. I was building a bedroom system and ended up with the M22's and a VP150.

You will love the Axiom sound. Actually, they are not all that far off form the SDA sound. They seem to be a tad bit "brighter", but nowhere near being harsh or tiring. They are a joy to listen to.

As you know, nothing images like the SDAs, and my M22's lack low end (by design). They will never reach the SPL levels of the SDAs but they are more than enough for the bedroom. Those M80's on the other hand would do the job, depending on which SDAs you have/had. What surprised me about the M22's was the detail. I did the crossover upgrades and tweeter upgrades on my SDAs and those Axiom M22s still surprise the heck out of me.

Anyway, I'm familiar with both the Polk SDA and Axiom sound and feel confident in saying that you'll be pleased.

You can't beat the 30day return policy so why not try them out?

Cary