Thanks, Chris.... that makes sense.

I've spent the last hour looking at video cards. They offer the GeForce G310, the Radeon HD 5670, 5870 and 5970.

Looking through reviews, it seems as though the GeForce and the 5670 are nothing great, and the 5870 and 5970 are overkill.

But it's hard to say, because most of the reviews are for gaming, and this will be used for Photoshop, Lightroom, & Portrait Professional only on a system that will likely have 12GB of RAM.

I'm not sure whether I'm over-looking or under-looking, but I get the feeling that I wish they had a card between those four....!

Hey, here's a question: I haven't been concerned with processor speed as much as RAM and the video card (many retouched photos, saved as a PSD with layers, run 350MB to 700MB in size). But maybe a faster processor negates some of the RAM and video card needs?

I don't want to end up with an "unbalanced" system.

My choices are an i7-930 (included), i7-960 ($470 add'l) or i7-990X ($1,000 add'l.... can't imagine i need THAT!).

Any thoughts on where I should put resources for a PS computer? Processor, memory or video card?

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 04/28/11 01:57 PM.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::