OK...just tried the Advents...at insane volume.(well over 50 watts easy) Played the same source CD. Same songs. Everything works fine.

The reason, i chose the QSC, number 1. I really expect it to work. My gut says the old Onkyo, just can't handle the 4 ohm load right. But also the QSC has better protection circuits, then a 1980's vintage amp. IF the M80's throw the QSC into protection, and shut down. Then for sure there is a problem with them, and need to be sent back. That amp was designed from the ground up to handle 4 ohm loads. Any REAL chance of frying the QSC, is pretty much nil. But to do anymore tests with a vintage amp, that in fact could damage it, i'm just not willing to do.

Normally 1 bad driver in a speaker, will just POP. A shorted one or one with a bad voice coil, will just not play. But thats not the case here. At least from what i can see. All drivers are moving, except for the tweeters, which i can't tell. They will play on the amp, There is no dead short, as the amp would shut down right away. The chance of the speakers shorting out at high volume levels....i would think is pretty remote. I've never seen that before, but dosen't mean it could not happen.