The ideal scenario is to have 3 identical speakers across the front, so M60 or M80 for mains and then another M60 or M80 as a center is best. The VP180 was designed to be a match for the M80 for those with out the vertical clearance to run another M80/M60 as a center, so the VP180 is second best. With the 180 you loose some horizontal dispersion to off axis listening, if this isn't a problem and you don't have the room for 3 vertical speakers across the front then the 180 is the way to go.

To run dual M22's or M2's as a center I would recommend one over and one under the screen to keep the sound anchored to the middle, with a side split center, the dialog will appear to come from the closest side speaker for those not directly in front which is kind of annoying, IMO. Also when running an M22 center you loose some impact the larger speakers tend to offer in the upper bass range. I found gunshots etc. had very good impact with the VP180 vs just the sound of gunfire I get when I run either of my M22's/VP150/VP100 or an M2 I have tried as a center. Running the smaller speakers is still a great way to go and they all work very, very well but I have found the center stage looses that impact when running beside floorstanders, YMMV.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70