Originally Posted By: medic8r
Hey, Cam, Here's a web page I found that does a pretty good job of explaining why "Barbecue" is not a verb. It is a noun, referring to the cooked meat, not the cooking appliance. The thing you cook steaks/burgers/etc on is the grill. When doing so, you are grilling.

I know, it seems like splitting hairs, but that's one of the cool things about language - all the nuance.

Thanks, JP.

Before posting my response yesterday, I searched "difference between grilling and barbecuing", and on the two websites that explained the difference, it only mentioned the difference in cooking styles (as I noted) and nothing regarding linguistics. So, I used logic to deduce that if you are cooking barbecue, you are barbecuing (ergo the appliance is a barbecue), which is why I facetiously called it a f'in barbecue.

My bad, and thanks for helping me learn.

Hopefully Rick, the grilling man, doesn't hunt me down for what may be considered a sacrilegious err, by aficionados like himself smile .

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.