Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By: Micah
So yes the bottom line is... performance has EVERYTHING to do with the environment you put them in

Well, yeah. We've all been saying that. smile

Nice to have you back!

Yes, yes go ahead, you can all share in a big ol, "WE TOLD YA SO"!!! wink

Not that I ever remember arguing that environment had nothing to do with it. I had originally auditioned Axiom speakers out over in SRoodes mancave for God sakes, so I knew that things like room treatments, carpet, non-square areas, being in a basement, cement, etc... all contributed to the over all sound experience the user would partake in.

However what I do remember.... meh, not so much arguing as much as just not agreeing with some who claimed they couldn't turn their EP500/600/800 up all the way without destroying their fine China in the dining room. I remember being very vocal to those coming here for subwoofer advice and telling them that for the money, you could find much more bang for the buck in SVS and HSU subs than in Axiom subs. My stance was, "if you want a LOT of bass, you might look elsewhere for your subwoofer needs".

My position hasn't really changed all that much concerning 'bang-for-the-buck' mind you. Axiom subs are still relatively high. I would say that you get what you pay for when buying an Axiom sub where as I feel you get MORE than what you pay for when you purchase a pair of M80's, M60's, QS8's, etc... Most of the rest of their speaker line-up I feel compete with speakers above their price point. Their subs on the other hand, are priced quite high.

But where my mind has most certainly been changed is with their bass output (well, the EP800's anyway... I can't give any educated reviews concerning any of their other subs as I've never heard any of them) levels. Where once I believed Axiom subs to be somewhat underpowered, I now have experienced the full wrath of the EP800's power in an environment which I'm sure is more what it was meant to be living in than where they have been up until this point.

And in their natural habitat... they are BEASTS!!!!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD