Originally Posted By: alan
Hi DanielBMe,

To follow up on the last post, listen carefully to your system (once the basic distances and setup are completed) with Audyssey's EQ switched off. Don't assume that Audyssey will make your system sound "better" simply because it applies elaborate equalization. It may sound different, but less neutral and less accurate.

If you prefer using the Audyssey EQ, then fine, but try and do an honest assessment of the sound quality with and without. Axiom speakers are designed to be very neutral and uncolored and you may prefer their natural balance unaided by any Audyssey equalization.

Regards,
Alan

Yes, I found that the Audyssey EQ harmed the superb stereo imaging of my M60's and did more harm than good to the frequency & transient response.

Yes, I used all 8 mic locations on my Denon 3808CI.

That said, my room is pretty dead acoustically and not too big. If you have room issues, you may be better with it on, but only until your room can be properly treated.

Also, the supposed corrections applied by Audyssey to the bass in my room just did not work at all. I had a large room peak between about 40-50Hz that the Audyssey did nothing about or made even worse. It really is amazing how much clean output there can be from the M60's down there when the room reinforces it!

I ended up EQ'ing only the feed to my SVS sub using REW (free Room EQ Wizard software - google "REW") with a Behringer DSP1124P and my old Radio Shack sound level meter.

So now with the crossover in the Denon at 80Hz, and the EQ only in the line to the Sub, I have been able to remove that peak and enjoy quite flat response down to the 20Hz region.

--Mark--

M2v3's, M60v3's, VP100